Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Parties

Ya know, I just don't do well in crowds. Especially the Walmart, Christmas shopping types of crowds. But there we were last night, Rachael and I, doing some last minute shopping for Christmas parties. I'm room mom for her class and I had to take 2 dozen cookies to Matthew's party. Poor Rae, with the chaos going on, there I was saying "no, get behind me....no wait, will you just stay in front of me? Gosh Rachael, when you are in front of me I keep running into you because you keep stopping! Get beside me. No Rachael, when you are beside me there is not enough room to get through the aisles!!" You get the picture. But we made it out of there with party supplies and her gifts for Matthew, Nana and Dale. Success and we spent less than $100! $96 to be exact.

Rachael's party was at 9:00 this morning. I brought cookies and crackers (juice supplied by the school) and I brought the goodies to make candy-cane reindeer. With the help of her teachers, my mom and another dad it was a success.

The party was over at 10am and Matthew's Christmas program began at 10:30am. One of the benefits of living in a small town. This time crunch was actually do-able.

Matthew did such a good job! The kids sang several songs and then when leaving the stage they got to each say their name into the microphone. Only about 4 kids wanted to do it (some were feeling a bit shy about being on stage with all those grown-ups looking at them) but Matthew got right up there and said his name.

After the program we had snacks, etc and Santa was there.....now, for some reason my children are not real fans of Santa "in person"...now the concept of Santa is wonderful and they love Santa! But the thought of him being in the same room with them? I don't think so. However, Santa had reindeer food and Matthew REALLY wanted some reindeer food...so he braved it. I was so proud of him. Honestly, I couldn't care less whether they sit on Santa's lap or not....but I was proud of him for facing his fears head-on and coming out a winner.

I wasn't thrilled about BOTH parties being this morning, but now that it's all over, I'm so glad. At least it's behind me and I can relax. Presents are bought and wrapped, Christmas cards are (almost) all mailed out (reminder to self....go by the post office for more stamps). All that's left is a little cooking and we are good to go! Oh and of course church music performances on Sunday and Monday. I'm singing a solo on Sunday, then playing hand bells and directing the choir on Monday.

More snow is expected tomorrow. So far it says ice tonight and 2-4 inches of snow tomorrow with LOTS of wind. Don't think I'll be going out in it! It should be over by tomorrow afternoon so we'll have time to clear the driveways before church on Sunday.

Stay warm! I plan on doing the same!

No comments: