Monday, January 14, 2008

Bedtime Blahs

I know, I know. It's my fault. And routines are SO hard to change! But here is my HORRIBLE bedtime routine (which by the way, I'm DETERMINED to begin to change, tonight!!)

8pm, Rae and I hop in to bed to read for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, Matthew is laying on the couch watching TV. After all, I can't put them BOTH to sleep at the same time! At 8:30 it's lights off and I lay in bed with her, rubbing her back listening to her as she occasionally pops up to tell me something that "just can't wait until tomorrow, it's important!". This goes on until about 9pm, which wouldn't be so bad I suppose, but I've still got one more to get to bed, plus I really think she should be asleep before 9pm.

Once she's SOUND asleep, I sneak out and head downstairs to Matthew. Unfortunately usually I'm wiped out and it's easier for me just to let him fall asleep on the couch and for me to carry him to bed. He's usually not asleep until 10pm so I KNOW he's not getting enough sleep! He's a challenge when it comes to bedtime. And he's going to be harder to change, simply because at least I've helped Rae get used to falling asleep in her bed.

Then there's the more than occasional "sneak" into my room. I wake up in the morning and they are in bed with me! Perhaps 2-3 nights a week they make it all night in their room so I know they can do it. But I should concentrate on GETTING to bed before I worry about STAYING in bed. (Besides, I hate to admit it, I kind of like those early morning cuddles. They won't want to do it forever!)

So tonight, a change is coming! Now, Rae LOVES lists and structure and routine so she might take to it, until I get out of her bed after the 30 minute reading for her to put herself to sleep. Then the battle with Matthew will begin. I know this will take time, I will TRY to be patient.

Wish me luck.

No comments: