Monday, February 4, 2008

Another Day in Paradise

Well, it's Monday now. Both kids are now officially sick. Matthew continued to get worse and when his fever reached 104 I hauled him off to the ER. His cough had not improved at all (perhaps it was even worse!) and he had been running a fever for going on 3 days. I had my fill. Of course, it was in the middle of the night. Isn't that when all crazy, exhausted moms take their kids to the ER?

So, let me tell you about my ER visit. When we got there Matthew was actually feeling a little better because I had given him some Ibuprofen which completely hypes him up. I supposed that's not terribly convincing to the doctors when I say he's completely lethargic and has been sleeping 20 hours a day. We did the typical check in, it all went relatively well. We were the only ones there (one of the perks of a small town). I couldn't help but think of my dear friend who runs an ER in Houston Texas. He would be shell-shocked to enter an ER at midnight on a Saturday night and it be empty!

Well, we waited a very few minutes when the doctor came in, or at least I suppose it was the doctor. Given he had no identification on him and he didn't bother to introduce himself, who really knows? He sat down in front of Matthew and kept telling him to move closer so he could listen to his chest. "I'm not going to bend over, my back hurts. You are going to have to scoot over here!" Ugh.

Well. After a very thorough (HA!) 2 minute examination he determined that there was nothing wrong with Matthew. Granted, he had 104 fever and he was coughing up a lung. But it would pass in a week or so. Thank you and goodnight.

I was livid. I guess since I've worked in hospitals before (or maybe just because I'm human) I was so put out by this visit! I mean, seriously. Nothing wrong? Granted, perhaps it's not pneumonia and we had ruled out flu, but nothing? How about a little compassion and bedside manner? Even a "continue to give him the medicine you are giving him, make sure he gets lots of rest and call your doctor if he doesn't improve in a few days" would have been better than "There's nothing wrong with him." See, Scott? There's incompetence in every ER.

OK. So he leaves and I did think to ask the nurse what his name is. I'll be calling my family physician about this one.

We got home around 2am and I finally managed to fall asleep in time to get up for church in the morning.

To be continued....

No comments: