Monday, September 24, 2007

Separation Anxiety

I think I'm having separation anxiety or first grade anxiety or homework anxiety. I really don't know which. If it's separation anxiety it took 1 1/2 years to get here! I know that I'm not the one in school, but this school year has been really hard on me! Boo left this morning in tears because of her homework (which was not done and was lost over the weekend), which inadvertantly left me in tears as well! Should 6 years olds REALLY have to stress over homework? Should 6 year old even HAVE homework? OK, different subject, I'll probably end up doing a whole blog on homework before this is all over with. But seriously, this is all so stressful! So I ended up emailing her literacy teacher explaining the homework situation, letting her know how seriously Boo takes this and that we would be glad to redo it tonight.

OK, so maybe late onset separation anxiety (hehe, sounds like a real diagnosis, doesn't it?). Maybe it's because last year was so blissfully wonderful in school that it didn't really FEEL like school? I was all involved, volunteering, getting notes and emails from the teacher (who is, I must admit, an absolute gift from heaven and we've already requested her for bub for next year). This year I'm completely disconnected, cut off. Maybe this is real life school and I've just never experienced it before (from the parenting side). I've offered to volunteer in the class but it's "not needed yet". Or maybe it's because next year Bub starts kindergarten and then they will BOTH be in school and then no more babies for me? I don't know. Boo loves school, loves her teacher, but I see the stress already. Most of it self-inflicted. But since I don't have a clue what's going on in school (or at least I don't feel like I do), what can I do?

I don't know. I'm just walking around here with a big lump in my throat, hoping she doesn't get in trouble for not having her homework (which is obviously my fault if I threw it away), waiting anxiously for a response from her literacy teacher, assuring me that all is alright.

MAN I need a hobby! :)

No comments: